Ludlow Palmers
helping to conserve the fabric and treasures of St Laurence's
The windows of St Laurence's

The West Window

The stone tracery of this window dates from the remodelling of the church in the second quarter of the 15th century; but the glass is all 19th Century.

The glass was installed under the supervision of Gilbert Scott during the 1859-60 restoration. The artist was Thomas Willement, the 'Father of Vicorian Stained Glass'. ...read more...

Ladies' window

The west window of the north aisle is known as the ‘Ladies window’ because it was funded by the ‘Ladies Committee’ during the 1859-60 restoration. The window's tracery was recarved at this time but to its original form and with all its ballflower decoration. ...read more...

Salwey window 1

Installed 1928 by Louis Davis who was one of the foremost glass painters of his time. Given by Mrs Gratton in memory of Theophilus Salwey, and his sisters Agnes, Mary and Katherine. ...read more...

Wellings window

This window is over north door and is by Hardman and Co. 1860. It shows the appearance of the risen Christ to Mary Magdalene; Jacob blessing Joseph's sons; and Christ blessing little children. The window was given by Captain Wellings and J. Penwaine.

Salwey window 2

Louis Davis, 1912, after Christopher Whall and commemorating Humphrey, eldest son of Theophilus Salwey (Salwey window 1), at the cost of Mrs J.D. White. Its panels are the Virgin Mary with the Infant Christ; Jacob's dream; an angel with St John the Evangelist (in red cloak) on Patmos. Arms of Salwey and others.

Nightingale window

Given by Mrs A.M. White in 1888 in memory of her godmother, Miss M.A.J. Nightingale. The window was made by Hardman and Co. It shows the Entombment and the Resurrection, with Roman soldiers (not Jewish guards) as custodians of the tomb.

Openshaw window

Given by Mrs Oppenshaw in 1887 and made by Hardman; the three Marys in the garden, and the appearance of the risen Lord to Mary Magdalene.

The Roundel windows

The glass in the cinqefoils of the three easternmost windows of the north aisle are the only surviving original glass in the north aisle and the oldest glass in the church. ...read more...

The Golden Window

Golden Window

The ‘golden window’ otherwise known and the Paternoster, Salutation or Annunciation Window, is one of St Laurence' ‘Catechism Windows’ and is considered to be the finest in the Church. ...read more...

The Golden Window

Creed window 1

This window must be read as a pair with the one to its right despite the masonry in between. They are called the 'Creed windows' because they depict the 12 Apostles at the Council of Jerusalem in AD50 receiving inspiration from the Holy Ghost above through rays of light. Like the other windows in the Chapel they date from the mid C15....read more...

The Golden Window

Creed window 2

This window must be read as a pair with the one to its left despite the masonry in between. They are called the 'Creed windows' because they depict the 12 Apostles at the Council of Jerusalem in AD50 receiving inspiration from the Holy Ghost above through rays of light. ...read more...

The Palmers window

The Palmers' Window

The Palmers' window dates from the period of the C15 rebuilding of the Church. It shows us a religious guild taking liberties with history to exploit a legend.

Here is the legend: King Edward the Confessor was a weak king, but a saintly man ...read more...

Jesse tree window

Ludlow's Tree of Jesse, which fills the East window of the Lady Chapel, dates from about 1330. The restoration by Hardman of 1890 preserved as much as possible of the original glass, but was a significant challenge even to a clever and painstaking craftsman. We cannot be sure what any of the twenty or so surviving C14 Jesse windows originally looked like, but at least this one is still in the window for which it was originally designed. ...read more...

St Catherine's Chapel east window

This window is made up of fragments of mediaeval glass recovered from different parts of the Church over the period to 1904 when it was installed. Some of the glass is earlier than the 15th century glass of the chancel and St John's Chapel. The virgin receiving the crown of fleur-de-lys at the top dates from the mid fourteenth century.

Vaughan window

This window is the central one of the three in the south aisle. It was given by Brettel Vaughan and installed in 1884 by Clayton and Bell.

Weyman window

This window of 1902 is in the south aisle immediately to the left of the south door. It commemorates Thomas Weyman of Broad Street and his wife Mary. It was given by his children including Stanley Weyman, the very popular historical novelist of his day, and Henry Weyman the local historian. The glass is by Powell and Son.

Herbert window

This window is at the west end of the south aisle. The glass is by Hughes of London and it was installed in 1859-60 by Colonel Sir Percy Herbert, the MP for Ludlow.

Text ...more...

The ‘Catechism Windows’

The ‘Catechism Windows’ date from the rebuilding of the Church in the mid-15th Century. They reflect the contemporary reform movement's emphasis on teaching and making use of imagery within the church building.

The Catechism Windows may be considered as a group separately here. ...read more...