Ludlow Palmers
helping to conserve the fabric and treasures of St Laurence's
The Chancel

Architecture

The Chancel was built in three phases. The western part as far as the end of the choir stalls was within the volume of the church of 1199. The next part to the altar rail was added in the thirteenth century. In the 1440s the chancel was extended by one further bay with the earlier parts being completely remodelled in the Perpendicular style to create a unified whole. ...read more...

The Roof

The Chancel Roof has a shallow pitch in keeping with the period of its construction. The five bays are divided by tie beams on moulded arch braces with kingposts supporting the ridge beams. Each bay has eight main panels each divided into a further four. ...read more...

The Stalls

The stalls were for the use during the mass and were designed with seats that tipped up with a ledge to support a weary worshipper who had stood for too long. The carved brackets under the ledges are called misericords.

The stalls were constructed in two phases. ...read more...

Misericords

The misericords are the carvings under the seats of the stalls. St Laurence's collection of 29 is one of the largest for a parish church and was described by Sir Nicklaus Pevsner as “interesting and entertaining”. ...read more...

The Sanctuary

The Sanctuary is the raised area behind the altar rail. For details of the reredos, sacristy, sedilia, piscina and Easter Sepulchre. ...read more...